About Our Library...

"Why don't you put an alert on eBay for a bookmobile?" Douglas said to his wife, Wren, thinking about different ways to store the 40 boxes of books they had rescued from a closed Catholic school in Flint, Michigan.  And so, eight months later in March 2009, the Bookmobile Project began when Douglas and Wren Spangler purchased a used bookmobile from a public library in Illinois.

Douglas drove the bookmobile--a 32' long bus, capable of holding 10,000 books--more than 400 miles to its new home in southern Michigan.  Douglas and Wren began filling it with books rescued from Catholic schools that have been forced to close.  The books are being stored in a temperature- and humidity-controlled environment.

The Holy Family Library's collection has many non-fiction children's books that are shelved according to reading level.  About 30% of the books are religious in nature, including biographies of saints. The remaining 70% of the collection focuses on biography and history along with a limited selection of fiction.  Wren Spangler, who has a Master's Degree in Library Science, has begun organizing and cataloging these books. 

The Holy Family Library seeks to keep Catholic literature in circulation. To that end, the Holy Family Library has been providing the MagnifiKid! resource to Catholic churches in southern Michigan.  In addition, the Holy Family Library has made a variety of reading material and other media available to families in Hillsdale and to schoolchildren at Sacred Heart Catholic School in Hudson. 

The Holy Family Library looks forward to serving more families and schools in the future.  If you are interested in learning more about our library, please contact us.

Top of Page

Last Updated: 3/27/2023